Today is George Washington’s birthday. Washington not only led the American colonies to their independence and was the first U.S. president, but he said a lot of wise things along the way. So, to commemorate his birthday, I asked you all through Twitter, Facebook, G+ and Empire Avenue to help me compile a list of quotes from George Washington. Thanks to all who contributed. Here are…
16 Quotes from George Washington
- Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. (via Debra Ulrich)
- Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder. (via Jim Kelly, Guillermo de Llera)
- Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience. (via Thea Bredie)
- No People can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. (first inaugural address) (via Rich Bradford)
- If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. (via Kari Baxter, Catherine White)
- I shall not be deprived … of a comfort in the worst event, if I retain a consciousness of having acted to the best of my judgment. (via Sarah Wilson)
- Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected. (via Matt Weber)
- A people… who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything. (via Jan Kaptein)
- Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude.
- Every post is honorable in which a man can serve his country.
- A slender acquaintance with the world must convince every man, that actions, not words, are the true criterion of the attachment of his friends
- Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence; true friendship is a plant of slow growth.
- We have abundant reason to rejoice, that, in this land, the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition, and that every person may here worship God according to the dictates of his own heart.
- I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is the best policy.
- Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.
- Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.
It’s worth noting that many quotes have been misattributed to Washington, some accidentally others probably by someone with an agenda. It becomes particularly challenging these days of social media as once something is attributed to somebody once, lots of people will share/retweet/repost the misattributed quote. If your favorite Washington quote wasn’t included here, you might want to double check that he actually said it, and said it first.
So, what’s your favorite George Washington quote? Chopping down any cherry tree’s today to celebrate?