2013 Global Leadership Summit Session 7a: Oscar Muriu
Senior Pastor, Nairobi Chapel, Kenya
Session 7: Viral Leadership: Multiplying Impact Exponentially
- Under his leadership, Nairobi Chapel has grown from a 40 person local church to a network of 30 churches with more than 14,000 weekly worshippers
- Following a passionate conviction to raise up and develop a legacy of leaders, Nairobi Chapel has trained more than 500 interns
- His vision is to see the African church rise up to its place and calling in the Global Church
- A thriving missions-focused congregation, Nairobi Chapel operates an HIV/AIDS ministry and has a vision to plant 300 churches in Africa and worldwide
- Their goal is to plant 300 churches around the world
- 5 convictions about leadership
- 1) Matthew 9:37-38
- Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
- The size of your harvest depends on how many leaders you have
- The problem is not with the harvest but with the harvesters, not enough of them.
Jesus strategy was not to harvest by himself but to first find his leaders.
- One of the signs of great leadership is the number of leaders who will continue your work after you are gone.
If you are tired and burned out, how many leaders are around you?
- Psalm 71:18
Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.
- Don’t live just for your generation but for the next generation.
- His church has a huge internship program
- Every leader at his church must have 5 younger people that they are pouring into for 1 or 2 years
- Numbers 11:10-17
- Moses was discouraged & frustrated. Cried out to God. God told Moses to select 70 leaders and He would pour his Spirit out on them.
- Some of your best leaders are right under your nose, but they are so close you can’t see them.
- Identify the budding leaders around you and take them to the Lord in prayer.
- Every year they list and “pray into ministry” young budding leaders.
- Mark 12:30-33
- Loving the Lord with all your heart is a matter of character, conviction, comprehension, competence.
- Loving your neighbor is a matter of compassion
- Acts 4:13
- Never do ministry alone. Always have budding leaders around you.
- At 3 hours a week, it would take you 60 years to put the same time with a young leader as Jesus spent with his disciples.
- He did not come from Kenya to Chicago alone but brought 3 young leaders with him.
- 500 men and women have gone through their mentoring