2014 Global Leadership Summit Session 8: Louie Giglio #gls14
Pastor, Passion City Church; Founder of the Passion Movement
SESSION 8: Closing Session
- Visionary Architect and Director of the Passion Movement, comprised of Passion Conferences, Passion City Church and sixstepsrecords
- Passion Conferences, founded in 1997, unite college-aged people in events around the globe—most recently gathering 40,000 students at Passion 2014 in Atlanta and Houston
- Giglio also leverages his voice for the END IT Movement, raising awareness and funding for non-profits unified to stop modern-day slavery
- Author of several books, and widely known for Passion messages Indescribable and How Great is Our God
- The doorposts of the gateway to the kingdom of God are humility and honor.
- All the glory goes to God, but the honor goes to people.
- We honor Bill Hybels for persevering for 20 years, the hundreds of millions of people who are impacted by the people attending the Summit.
- What is your mountain? The heights you are going to ascend?
- A lot of times I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing, but I don’t want that to stop me [from believing God is going to do something great]
- You don’t have to know everything about how to get up the mountain today to take the next step
- Life is short
- Most people don’t have a sense of urgency about the great things in life
- The stakes are too high for us to die with a small vision.
- God is big
- Leaders think this way: life is short but God is big.
- Biggest idea of my life is that everything is about Jesus and his glory.
- Take the next step
- The only way to the top is one step at a time.
- 1) Whatever that step is, you can do it.
- 2) Whatever that step is, you can’t do it – you can only do it on with God’s help.
- 3 of my hardest steps
- Father was mentally and physically disabled in a matter of days by a brain virus… father funeral was the same day as the 10 year celebration at Baylor. After 3 months in Atlanta, the vision for Passion became clear.
- In 1964, Louie’s dad created the Chic-fil-a logo.
- Passion conference took place at Georgia Dome, Chic-fil-a logo from the Bowl game the day before was below his feet as he proclaimed the gospel to 64,000 college students.
- God cannot use a man greatly until he wounds him deeply. -Tozer
- Right at the beginning of planting a church… Had an anxiety attack… 5 months in a dark place…
- There are a lot of leaders at this Summit but no Saviors attending.
- Church decided to take a 2 week Sabbath… Bad idea… but we decided if the church is going ot succeed it’s going to be God’s doing and not mine.
- 5 days after the dome story was on every news outlet… was called a “hater…”
- Was asked to pray for the country (inauguration?)
- Backed away rather than cause a commotion…
- It galvanized us around the vision God had given us
- Humility is not a character trait to be developed but the byproduct of spending time with Jesus.
- When I am weak, I am strong.
- God will give you the grace to take the next step you need to take.
- The goal is not to get up mountains but to get to the arms of Jesus.
- The arms of Jesus is our extraction point.
- Jesus only had one extraction point… the tomb.
- We are not going to cash out…
- You have a great God who is going to lead you all the way through.