Co-Founder, VitalSmarts; Best-selling Business Author
Session 5: Mastering the Skill of Influence
- Business strategy expert who has developed a proven method for driving sustainable and measurable change in human behavior
- Founded corporate training company, VitalSmarts—one of the fastest growing companies in America that has taught 300 of the Fortune 500 Companies
- Utilizing a research-based approach to organizational effectiveness, he is author of four best-selling books including Crucial Conversations and Influencer: The Power to Change Anything
- Leadership is intentional influence.
- Behaviors have changed when it comes to playing online games, eating habits, smoking habits. Influence has changed behavior.
- Story of Jane, Nairobi woman who turned to prostitution. 800,000 “Janes” in the Nairobi area.
- Vital behavior – if we can get Jane to save a little bit each week, it would not only change her financial situation but her life.
- Research w kids, gave them $40, made candy available at 10x normal cost. Not a good deal but they bought it anyway. When asked they weren’t sure why.
- Why did they fail?
- Gave the kids samples
- Didn’t give them any skills
- Social influence
- Decorated w happy kids eating candy
- Used credit not cash
- Then they changed the influencers. Savings went from $13 to $34.
- Personal motivation
- Personal motivation problems are where good behavior feels bad, bad behavior feels good.
- Don’t just teach principles. Connect to values.
- Help people frame specific choices in godly ways.
- Want more influence? The practice setting must approximate the real world.
- Example: Washington HOV lane, 20% were “cheaters.” Put up signs to report violators. Violators received brochures. Cheaters dropped by 80%.
- Make bad choices harder, more conscious. Make good choices easier, more obvious.
- We don’t get to choose these influence factors. You either get them working for you or they work against you.
- Want to change the world? Learn how to change behavior.